All First-Year Students,
Majors Advising Day is Monday, October 24th, from 9-12pm, there are no scheduled classes on this day. All First-Year Students are required to meet with your Faculty Advisor on this day, UNLESS you arrange an alternative day and time with her/him. All Advising meetings will be held on the third floor of the South Building in rooms 304 & 305.
This meeting with your Advisor is to assist you in the selection of your Spring Semester classes, you are not registering for your classes on this day. You will officially register for classes online, using Davinci, on November 8th or 9th. Your scheduled day and time will be sent to you in an email from Jonathan Rand in the Office of the Registrar, later today.
PLEASE NOTE: The email that you will receive from Jonathan Rand is very important because it contains your registration date and time, however, this email is the same one that will be sent to ALL MassArt students and will contain some information that is not relevant to you. Please be sure to follow the steps contained in THIS EMAIL as it is directed only toward First-Year Students.
The following courses are required by all first-year students at MassArt:
SFDN181 Drawing I (Fall)
SFDN182 Visual Language I (Fall)
HART100 Intro to Western Art (Fall)
SFDN185 Drawing II (Spring)
SFDN191 TIME (Spring)
HART (200 Level) Art History Elective
Either Fall or Spring Semester
SFDN183 Form Study (Fall or Spring)
LALW100 Written Communication (Fall or Spring)
FRSM100 Freshman Seminar (Fall or Spring)
(——–) Studio Elective (Fall or Spring)
Registering for Spring Semester classes is a 6-step process:
1) Open the files that I have attached to this email, they include 5 documents:
- The Drawing II course choices
- The TIME course choices
- The Freshman Studio Elective course choices
- The Registration Form
- The Spring Semester Registration Worksheet
2) Print and fill out the Spring Semester Registration Worksheet, attached to this email (or pick one up in the Studio Foundation Office on the third floor of the South Building, or in the Registrars Office, 8th floor, Tower Building), this will help you to plan your course load schedule.
3) Log on to davinci.massart.edu (with your MassArt email login and password), then open “Search for Sections”. From here you can access all classes that are being offered in the Spring Semester.
Choose your classes and fill out the Registration Form – List your preferred classes in each section. Note that there are 5 sections:
- MAJOR REQUIREMENTS (Visual Language II, Drawing II, Form Study (if you need to take it in the Spring))
- STUDIO ELECTIVES (from attached Freshman Studio Electives List (if you need to take it in the Spring))
- STUDIO ELECTIVE ALTERNATIVES (Second Choices of Freshman Studio Electives)
- LIBERAL ARTS AND HISTORY OF ART ( Freshman Seminar, All Art History classes (200 level) & Written Communication)
- LIBERAL ARTS AND HISTORY OF ART ALTERNATIVES ( Second Choices of Freshman Seminar, All Art History classes (200 level) & Written Communcation)
4) Meet with with your Faculty Advisor on or before Monday, October 24th. YOU MUST HAVE YOUR REGISTRATION FORM FILLED OUT BEFORE MEETING WITH YOUR ADVISOR. Your advisor will review your choices for Spring Semester and sign the Registration Form. You are now cleared to register online, but only on the specified date and time sent to you in the email from Jonathan Rand.
5) On Monday, November 7th, log on to your Davinci account. Under the Registration Heading, click “Do I have a restriction?”, and make sure you do not have any restrictions. If there are any restrictions in your account the system WILL NOT let you register for classes. You must be sure to clear any restrictions prior to registering.
Some examples are:
“Faculty Meeting Required” – This should be cleared by this date, if not, contact your advisor ASAP
“Business Office Restriction” – You may have a balance due on your account
“Library Restriction” – You may have books overdue or owe money to the Library
“Audio/Visual Restriction” – You may have borrowed equipment overdue
6) Register for classes – You have a scheduled appointment day and time to register for classes online at davinci.massart.edu. You will not be allowed to register before this time, but you can register anytime after that, HOWEVER, the longer you wait to register, the harder it will be to get into your first choices.
Please contact your Faculty Advisor or me with any questions regarding this process.
We look forward to seeing you all on Monday the 24th!
Assistant Professor, Studio Foundation
Studio Foundation Academic Advisor
South Bldg. – 2nd Floor, Office #207